By Tony DeGol
Proclaim!

Six priests of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown are marking the 60th anniversary of their ordination this month.

Reverend Sylvester J. Bendzella, 86, is the son of the late Joseph and Mary (Tomechko) Bendzella. His home parish was Saint John the Baptist Parish in Barnesboro. He studied for the priesthood at Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary in Catonsville, Maryland, and Saint Mary Seminary in Baltimore, and was ordained to the priesthood on May 23, 1959, at the Immaculate Conception Chapel at Saint Francis University in Loretto. He served as Associate Pastor at Saint Michael Parish in Clarence and Saint Stephen Parish in Johnstown. He was Pastor of Saint John the Baptist in Central City, Saints Cyril and Methodius Parish in Windber, and Saint Michael Parish in Clarence. He retired in 2003 and served as a chaplain at hospitals/nursing facilities while living in residence at parishes. He currently resides at Dmitri Manor in Hollidaysburg.

A native of Saint Patrick Parish in Spangler, Reverend Donald E. Boslett, 85, is the son of the late Russell and Viola (Dunlap) Boslett. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 30, 1959, at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Ohio, where he attended seminary. Father Boslett served as Associate Pastor at Saint Leo Parish in Altoona, Saint Mary Parish in Nanty Glo, and Saint Therese of the Child Jesus Parish in Altoona. He was Pastor of Saint Joseph Parish in Williamsburg, Saint Thomas Aquinas Parish in Ashville, Saint Mary Parish in Altoona, Saint Joseph Parish in Portage, and Saint Joseph Parish in Renovo. He retired in 2008 and resided at Saint Monica Parish in Chest Springs, assisting at the parish and others for several years. He currently resides at John Paul II Manor in Cresson.

Monsignor Arnold L. Gaus, 86, was ordained to the Priesthood on May 23, 1959, at Immaculate Conception Chapel at Saint Francis University. Son of the late Carl and Margaret (Beyer) Gaus, Monsignor attended Saint Vincent Seminary in Latrobe and was an instructor at Bishop Carroll Catholic High School in Ebensburg. He was Associate Pastor at Holy Name Parish in Ebensburg. He served as Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Bakerton, Saint Patrick Parish in Gallitzin, and Holy Name Parish in Ebensburg. He was named Chaplain to His Holiness in 1987. Monsignor Gaus retired in 2013 and resides at John Paul II Manor in Cresson.

 

Also ordained on May 23, 1959, at Immaculate Conception Chapel at Saint Francis University, Reverend Paul M. Robine, 85, is a native of Saint Leo Parish in Altoona. He is the son of the late Martin and Mary (Weidmann) Robine and attended Saint Vincent Seminary in Latrobe and Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia. Father Robine was Associate Pastor at Saint Benedict Parish in Johnstown and Saint Joseph Parish in Portage, and he was a Chaplain at Mercy Hospital in Altoona. During his early years as a priest, he was an instructor at Bishop Carroll, Bishop Guilfoyle, and Bishop McCort Catholic High Schools, and he taught at the Altoona School of Nursing. He was Pastor at Saint John the Evangelist Parish in Everett, Saint Aloysius Parish in Cresson and Saint John Vianney Parish in Mundy’s Corner. He retired in 2009 and currently resides at Garvey Manor in Hollidaysburg.

Reverend Carl A. Spishak, 86, is the son of the late John and Mary (Kollar) Spishak and a native of Saint Stephen Parish in Johnstown. Father Spishak attended Saint Francis Seminary in Loretto. He was ordained on May 23, 1959, at Immaculate Conception Chapel at Saint Francis University. He served as Associate Pastor at Saint John the Evangelist Parish in Bellefonte, Saint Francis Xavier Parish in Cresson, and Saint Mary Parish in Nanty Glo. He was Pastor of Holy Family Parish in Colver, Saint Francis Xavier Parish in Cresson, Saint Matthew Parish in Tyrone, Saint Joseph Parish in Renovo, and Holy Rosary Parish in Altoona. Father Spishak also served as a Chaplain in the United States Navy. Prior to retirement, he served as Parochial Vicar at Saint Rose of Lima Parish in Altoona. Since his retirement in 2009, he continues to reside at Saint Rose of Lima and remains active in the life of the parish.

A native of Saint Joseph Parish in Portage, Monsignor Samuel J. Tomaselli, 86, is the son of the late Samuel and Agnes (Galioto) Tomaselli. He also attended Saint Francis Seminary in Loretto and was ordained on May 23, 1959. He served as Associate Pastor at Saint Agnes Parish in Lock Haven, Saint Joseph Parish in Renovo, and Saint Patrick Parish in Johnstown. He was Pastor at Saint Joseph Parish in Boswell, Saint Michael Parish in Listie, Saint Gregory Parish in MacDonaldton, and Saint Peter Parish in Somerset. He was named Chaplain to His Holiness in 1987. Monsignor Tomaselli retired in 2009 and continues to assist at Saint Peter. He resides in Somerset.

The six priests will celebrate their jubilee with a private Mass and dinner later this month.