Bishop Mark will celebrate a special outdoor Mass in observance of the Year of Saint Joseph on August 1 at 4:00 p.m. at beautiful and historic Saint Joseph’s Mission Church at Hart’s Sleeping Place in Carrolltown — the oldest church in the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. All are welcome.
Blessed by the Prince-Priest and Servant of God Demetrius Gallitzin in 1830, the mission church was the center of Catholicity in northern Cambria County until 1850 when Saint Benedict Parish was established. Now, maintained by the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown, the log structure, hidden by white shingles, is one of Cambria County’s most notable landmarks. Surrounded by the graves of early settlers in the peaceful countryside, Saint Joseph’s Mission Church bears silent testimony to the work of Father Gallitzin as well as the first pastor, Benedictine Father Peter Lemke, and entire Benedictine community’s ministry in America.
In honor of the Year of Saint Joseph, the church is open for self-guided tours on the first Sunday of each month this summer from Noon-3:00 p.m. Upcoming opportunities include July 4, August 1 (prior to the Bishop’s Mass), and September 5.
MORE on Saint Joseph’s Mission Church